Penrickton Center for Blind Children was established in the City of Taylor, Michigan in 1952 by three families (Penman, Ricker and Wigginton) as a day nursery for blind pre-schoolers because no such program existed. Originally meeting in their homes, then a local church; Penrickton Center’s permanent home was established through a land grant from the City of Taylor and through private donations. The original brick building was built and donated by individuals and service clubs.
Through the years, Penrickton Center has constantly changed to meet the needs of visually impaired children in the Metropolitan Detroit area. In the late 1950’s, Penrickton Center added a 5-day residential program to better serve children in the community. In the early 1960’s we initiated a program to serve blind children with one additional disability because no such program existed to meet these special needs.
Currently, we specialize in treating blind children ages one through twelve with a least one additional disability such as deafness, cerebral palsy, brain damage, developmental delay and seizures.